Thursday, July 8, 2010

Two Months till Worlds

Only two months remain until the start of the Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series Grand Finale in Budapest. Three groups of athletes will compete there – age group triathlon (sprint and Olympic distance), paratriathlon, and aquathlon athletes. On September 8, I’ll race the aquathlon (2.5K run, 1000 meter swim, 2.5K run) and on the 11th, I’ll race the sprint triathlon (750 meter swim, 20K bike, 5K run).

My training program is firmly on track, and I feel much better about the two races than I did last month. The fear that bothered me a while back was due to insufficient and incorrect training, so it feels very good to have made a commitment to myself to do things right. My previous half-hearted training was setting myself up for failure and building an excuse for poor performance at the same time. What a crock! I should be ashamed of myself.

But I’m not. I’m only a human being, not Wonder Woman. I make mistakes. I have fears. I sabotage myself. I get worried. I hide under the covers. I shed tears. I don’t train enough. I attach too much importance to my future performance and not enough to the daily training that will prepare me for two decent races. The whole point of going to Worlds is to have fun and enjoy the races, no matter how well or not so well I do.

Training log: Yesterday, I swam and ran. Today I did stretching, balance work, and strength training. Tomorrow will be bike and swim day.
Motivation log: Took stock of my situation and got back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment